Strategies for Educational Improvement: Engaging All Students & Teachers
View the 2019 promotional flier here (pdf)
Conference Date & Location
The 2019 summer conference will be held Friday, June 7, 2019 in the BEST Building at the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, Kansas. The physical address is 12604 Quivira Road, Overland Park, Kansas, 66213. Attendees will check in at the Conference Center lobby (West entrance) of the BEST Building. Free parking is available on the North side of the BEST Building. Information on parking can be found here (pdf).
About the KU Edwards Campus & Overland Park
Learn more about the KU Edwards Campus here. Interested in what Overland Park has to offer? Information from Visit Overland Park can be found here. Information on local hotel accomodations offered at the KU Edwards Campus rate can be found here (pdf).
Keynote Speakers & Breakout Sessions Schedule
View the 2019 conference agenda and schedule here (pdf).
Welcome & Introductions
- Deb Perbeck & Joe Novak, conference co-chairs; and
- David Cook, vice chancellor of the KU Edwards Campus
Opening Address: Education - A New Frontier
- Randy Watson, KSDE commissioner of education; and
- Brad Neuenswander, KSDE deputy commissioner
Keynote Address: Not these kids. Not those kids. ALL Kids!
- James Moffett, Jr., professional consultant and owner of JM Educational Consulting.
TED Talk-like Presentations: 2019 Kansas Teachers of the Year. View the full list here (pdf).
- Whitney Morgan, Kansas City USD 500 | You Matter & You are Not Alone: Nurturing the Fire and Sustaining the Call;
- Jennifer S. Brown, Geary County USD 475 | I’m a Teacher, Now What: Defining Your Optimal Future;
- Megan Clark, De Soto USD 232 | Empathy: The Essential Link in Student/Teacher Connections;
- Signe A. Cook, Great Bend USD 428 | Creating a Positive Classroom in a Trauma Filled World;
- Nicole L. Corn, Lawrence USD 497 | Using Technology to Transform Your Instructions;
- Lan T. Huynh, Wichita USD 259 | A Child Refugee to a Child’s Refuge;
- Sharon L. Kuchinski, Leavenworth USD 453 | Creating Synergy for Collaboration, Progress and Change: Kansas School Redesign; and
- T.J. Warsnak, Halstead-Bentley USD 440 | The Power of Experience.
Online Participant Registration
Participant registration for the 2019 conference is now open. The deadline to register for the 2019 conference is Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Register online here.
Please note, individuals who participate in the conference also have an opportunity to earn continuing education units (CEUs) for a cost of $65 per person. After successfully registering for the conference, individuals will be provided the information necessary to complete registration and payment for the CEU credit.
Sponsorship & Exhibitor Opportunities
Sponsor and exhibitor registration for the 2019 conference is now open. New this year, individuals and organizations are able to choose from four sponsorship levels or simply host an exhibitor table. Review the sponsor levels and benefits here. The deadline to register as a sponsor or exhibitor is Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Submit your exhibitor registration here.
Call for Proposals
The call for proposals for the 2019 conference is now closed. A few presentation topics of interest include: behavior management & discipline; special education & shortages of teachers; infusing technology in the classroom; restorative practices; measuring academic achievement; culturally responsive teaching; recruiting diverse teaching staff & other HR practices; inclusionary practice; and social media and bullying.