Preparing Educators as Leaders

Provisional Licensure in Kansas

Provisional licensure is allowed in many teaching subjects in Kansas; however, 98% of the provisional recommendations from KU are for Special Education. Applicants must hold a current Kansas teaching license in regular education, and have a job that requires the provisional. To qualify for a provisional in High Incidence Disabilities, for example, a student must have completed the characteristics course, the first methods course and the first practicum. If ready to apply for provisional licensure, file a Form 4 application on the KSDE web site.

Licensure Waivers

Special Education accounts for 99% of licensure waivers in Kansas.  Sometimes a school district cannot find a person who is already licensed to teach special education, so they seek permission from the Kansas Department of Education for a waiver.  To qualify, the applicant must hold a current Kansas teaching license, be admitted to a special education program, and be currently enrolled in at least one appropriate class.  

The paperwork required to grant a licensure waiver begins with the individual student's plan of study form.  The candidate must complete a plan of study form in cooperation with their faculty advisor from the Department of Special Education at KU. The plan of study form should list all courses required for the entire endorsement program, with a goal of reaching eligibility for the higher Provisional License as quickly as possible.  The completed plan of study form must then be submitted to Alisa Branham via mail or email.  With the plan of study in hand, Alisa Branham will compose the letter needed by the employer. For more information on this required process, please review the provided waiver instructions.

Deadlines for receipt of all materials at the Kansas Department of Education are Nov. 1 & Feb. 1 - most plan of study letters are written in August, so the district can access reimbursement money for the position for the entire year.  

Licensure Announcements
  • KSDE no longer prints or mails paper licenses. Access your license online.
  • The ETS code for KU School of Education is 6871.
  • Fingerprint packets may be picked up in JRP Hall #208
KU Licensure Officer

Alisa Branham
#211 JRP Hall

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12
Research from KU’s largest grant, the $24.5 million SWIFT project, assists educators, children, and families across the United States
The award-winning special education faculty published 140 refereed articles, 11 books, and 60 chapters in 2015-16
Students with intellectual disabilities are participating in KU undergraduate programs through a grant-funded KU special education program
Researchers on a $3.5 million grant are collecting data on an innovative reading program designed to teach reading to students with the most significant disabilities in seven Kansas school districts
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
KU Today
Connect with KU School of Education

KU School of Education Facebook page KU School of Education YouTube Channel KU School of Education Twitter Feed KU School of Ed instagram icon KU School of Ed LinkedIn icon