Preparing Educators as Leaders

Let us help to answer your questions on the Student Teaching field experience.

All materials are due by 5pm on the due date. You may turn in the materials to 208 JRP (The Welcome Center) or 217 JRP (Field Placement Office).

Indicate this on your request materials. We will do our best to place you for both your regular content area and your endorsement practicum within the same school, but this is not always possible. You can "split" the experience however you and your clinical supervisors agree to – by weeks or days. A 50/50 "split" is required of SpEd, but ESL only requires a minimum of 45 hours in that setting.

Technically, no. The Kansas State Board of Education recently decided to allow students to be paid. However, we are not aware of any districts who offer payment. Students may work as an "emergency substitute" for pay in the periods before or after student teaching and internship. See Licensure (link) for more information about substituting.

State mandate requires the presence of a certified teacher or system authorized substitute with the student teacher at all times. With one of those individuals in the room, depending on the level of confidence, the student may accept responsibility for instruction. Should this situation occur during your placement, let your university supervisor know ASAP. Student teachers cannot be used as substitute teachers.

Student teaching and internship are full-time responsibilities. Therefore, student teachers and interns are strongly encouraged to devote all of their energies to their experiences. Employment during this time could seriously jeopardize a student's performance.

Yes, you should always be prepared to attend these extra-curricular meetings or programs, but consult with your clinical supervisor first.

Field Experience Contact

Melissa Robinson
Director of Field Placement

Connect with KU School of Education

KU School of Education Facebook page KU School of Education YouTube Channel KU School of Education Twitter Feed KU School of Ed instagram icon