Preparing Educators as Leaders

Renewing a Kansas License

Renewals have become more complicated in recent years and requirements will vary depending on whether your license is current or expired, or whether you've been teaching or not. Renewal forms, with several pages of instructions, may be downloaded from the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) web site under Educator Licensure, Applications. Renewals are usually sent directly to KSDE, not to KU, unless you are adding an endorsement at the same time. If you have specific renewal questions, please call KSDE at 785-291-3678. They are the authorities.

One year non-renewable licensure

Students who have failed exams or not taken the exams may apply for a "one-year non-renewable" license using the Form 1, but this is less desirable for several reasons. Primarily, these people are not "highly qualified" and some districts will not hire them. 

Renew a 2-year Initial License

If you have been teaching and completed a "mentoring program" in Kansas, use the Form 22 to "Upgrade to the 5-year Professional License". If you have not been teaching, use the Form 20 from the KSDE web site.

Request for proof of recent college credit

If you need proof of recent college credit or degree from KU, order an official hardcopy transcript (not the electronic version) from the KU Registrar

Licensure Announcements
  • 06/12: KSDE extended the rule allowing teachers to add most endorsements with subject exam. 
  • Fingerprint packets may be picked up in JRP Hall #208
KU Licensure Officer

Alisa Branham
#211 JRP Hall

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12