Preparing Educators as Leaders

Apply online for initial Kansas licensure

Most people who finish a licensure program at KU will apply online. Go to "Educator Licensure" and click on "Applications," to find the "Form 1" application. It takes about 15 minutes to read the instructions and complete the form. Allow about 2 weeks for processing at KU (after all grades are posted); then you will receive an automated email with instructions for paying the fee to KSDE. Processing at KSDE takes 4-8 weeks, but the day you pay the fee is the "effective" date of the license. Application essentials include:

  • Ensure your grades for all licensure courses are officially posted and/or the necessary degrees are conferred before applying for licensure.
  • Have and use a working email address
  • Enter data accurately on the online forms.
  • Print yourself a copy before hitting the submit button.  

Paper application eligibility

  • Are you applying for two actions at once (Ex: renewing & adding an endorsement)
  • Are you applying for Kansas provisional licensure?
  • Do you have a degree from another country OR answer "yes" to any criminal questions?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, please refer to the paper application checklist for more information on the process.

Provisional Licensure in Kansas

Provisional licensure is allowed in many teaching subjects in Kansas; however, 98% of the provisional recommendations from KU are for Special Education. Applicants must hold a current Kansas teaching license in regular education, and have a job that requires the provisional. To qualify for a provisional in Adaptive, for example, a student must have completed the characteristics course, the first methods course and the first practicum. Contact Alisa if you have questions; download the Form 4 with instructions here.

Kansas substitute licensure

There are two kinds of substitute license in Kansas: 1) a "5-year Standard Substitute" license which requires completion of a teacher education program, and 2) an "Emergency Substitute" licensure which is a one-year license available to any person with 60+ hours of college credit. Emergency subs may teach up to 50% time with no benefits, and pay is typically $85-100 per day.  If you wish to apply for the emergency sub license, download Form 8a at the website under Educator Licensure. We've also provided an application checklist for your review as well.

Licensure Announcements
  • 06/12: KSDE extended the rule allowing teachers to add most endorsements with subject exam. 
  • Fingerprint packets may be picked up in JRP Hall #208
KU Licensure Officer

Alisa Branham
#211 JRP Hall

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12