Robinson Center at KU
Our fifth academic department, Health, Sport, & Exercise Sciences (HSES) is house in Robinson Center - just down the hill from JRP Hall. Robinson Center is the KU School of Education's second major facility, located in Lawrence, Kansas just across campus from JRP Hall. The original Robinson Gymnasium was constructed in 1907 and was located on Jayhawk Blvd. Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball and the first Chair of the Physical Education Department (now HSES) played a key role, along with Chancellor Frank Strong, in the planning and construction of the facility that was called "the best university gymnasium west of the Mississippi River."
Robinson, in its present location at the intersection of Naismith Dr. and Sunnyside Ave., opened in 1967 and is home to the Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences (HSES). Building amenities include nine classrooms, six basketball courts, three workout rooms, a gymnastics room, a computer laboratory for students, laboratories for Athletic Training and Exercise Physiology and two swimming pools. Robinson Center is used by a wide variety of KU and non-KU individuals/groups including the KU swim team, student weight-lifting clubs, faculty, students, staff, and spouses of faculty, students, and staff.