Preparing Educators as Leaders

General Information for Out-of-State Licensure:

First, we highly recommend you apply for a Kansas license, even if you plan to move out-of-state. This establishes your record with the Kansas State Department of Education and will ease the application process in most other states, especially Colorado, Texas, Illinois, and California. Missouri mandates you hold the KS license before they will issue a MO license.

KU alumni teach in every state, and you should have no trouble getting licensed anywhere. Students often ask if another state is "reciprocal" with Kansas; essentially, there are no "reciprocal" licenses. Each state has its own application process and different requirements. For example, all states require their own fingerprinting, and many states, like Illinois and Texas, have developed their own standardized tests. To complicate this, the rules are constantly changing. State department web sites will usually have the most up-to-date information.

The cost for licensure can range from $100- $400 in each state, including fees, fingerprints and exams. In most cases, if you do not have all the licensure exams completed for a particular state, they will issue you a one-year license. In some states it will be much easier to take the exams after you have moved there.

Many states will have a form that asks for the "institutional recommendation" or "verification of completion of an approved program." Throughout your career, you will send this form to your KU Licensure Officer at the School of Education. Sending this form to the KU Registrar or your faculty advisor slows the process dramatically.

The language of licensure varies from state to state. In most states, you will be applying for an "initial" or "standard" license. Some words, such as "provisional" mean different things in different states; in Kansas, "provisional" means that you are only partially completed with the coursework for a new licensure area, like special education.

Licensure applications for any state cannot be signed until all final grades are recorded at KU. If you have "incompletes" your application will be delayed and it is your responsibility to contact the KU Licensure Officer when you have finished the coursework.

If you finish an initial program in Spring, you will apply for out-of-state licensure in June or early July. Include a copy of the KS license with your out-of-state application packet. Visit with the Human Resources person at your employing district for additional advice.

Order hard copy KU Transcripts from the KU Registrar's office. Be sure to ask them to hold for final grades or degree conferred, as necessary.


Alisa Branham
Licensure Officer
#211 JRP Hall

Faculty, staff and students of the Athletic Training Program are excited to host KU Athletic Training Day at Robinson Center, and we would like to welcome our area high school students to campus! More Info: Tags: #KUSOE #BeAJayhawk #KUCommunities

#KUSOE hosts KU Athletic Training Day today at Robinson Center! Welcome to our area high school students! #BeAJayhawk
KU Athletic Training Program - ALS Ice Bucket Challenge KU Athletic Training Program students and Dr. Phil Vardiman participating in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12