Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 26, All day
Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 27, All day
Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 28, All day
Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 29, All day
Thanksgiving Break
Nov. 30, All day

WBB vs. Georgetown
Nov. 23, 02:00 pm
MBB vs. Rider
Nov. 24, 07:00 pm
Volleyball vs. West Virginia
Nov. 26, 06:00 pm
WBB vs. Iona
Nov. 26, 08:00 pm
Volleyball vs. Oklahoma
Nov. 29, 12:00 pm

Preparing Educators as Leaders

Licensure Exams

Please read this entire section before registering for licensure exams.

Educational Testing Service (ETS) is the company that offers the standardized exams required in Kansas. Register for Exams; be sure to pick "Kansas" as your state. Registration takes 45 minutes and patience.

The ETS registration will ask you to provide "score recipients": 6871 is the code for the School of Education at the University of Kansas. Please include your full social security number on the ETS registration, which will help us to match your score with your KU records.

About 4 weeks after you take the exam, download and print copies of your test report. Starting Fall 2012, scores are available for one year. If you fail to retrieve and save your scores, ETS will charge you another $40 fee to access it later. KU should receive your score electronically about 4 weeks after you can access it online, but no system is perfect and in reality we get about 80%. If we are missing your score, Alisa will ask you to mail a hardcopy; to be safe, print three for your personal file. You might need it for an out-of-state application in the future.

We highly recommend that you review the free "test prep" on the ETS web site before taking any exam - they provide sample questions and answers. ETS has in-depth "Study Guides" for sale as well, but not every student needs to make this additional purchase.

Cost is significant: most paper exams are $80 each, plus $50 registration per academic year (August - July).  Electronic exams are more expensive.

Having the Kansas license is important, even if you plan to teach out of state. Missouri requires the same Subject exams as Kansas. Most states will issue you a temporary certificate/license - as long as you have a current Kansas license - so that you can take any additional exams required after you've moved. Visit with Alisa if you have questions.  Read more about out-of-state licensure at the tab above or visit with Alisa if you have questions.

Exam requirements for Initial Teacher Preparation Programs

In the final year of our program, students take the PLT (Principals of Learning and Teaching) and Subject Area exams, which are required for Initial Kansas licensure. For example, Elementary students should take the Elementary subject exam and the PLT K-6. Exams listed at the Educational Testing Service site under "Kansas" are the only exams KSDE accepts. (There is no subject exam for Gifted, Journalism, Latin or Japanese.) A new Chinese exam starts October 2012.

ETS is offering more exams electronically each year and the schedule varies. Plan ahead to allow time for advance registration and scoring. Again, be sure to use the 6871 code for recipient.

If you have trouble registering with ETS, contact KU Testing Service at 785-864-2768, 2150 Watkins Health Center.

We strongly recommend that most initial program completers (new teachers) take the PLT and Subject exams in October - January. This allows time to receive scores and time to schedule a re-take if necessary. KU students have performed very well on the exams over the past 8-10 years, but annually 10% must re-take one exam. Many students completing an initial program will be able to take the PLT and a Subject Exam on the same day.

Art, Music, Foreign Language and PE/Health majors in PK-12 programs are encouraged to take the 7-12 level PLT for best results. There are questions on the elementary level PLT that these students are not prepared to answer.

You must have passing licensure exam scores to be "highly qualified".

Licensure Exams for Added Endorsements

Building Leaders and District Leaders should go to another link, to register for the School Leadership Assessment Series. The principal's exam is called the School Leadership Assessment and the superintendent's exam is the School Superintendent's Assessment. Typically, these exams are offered less often, and they are more expensive.

Licensed teachers who are adding endorsements to a current Kansas license (for example, adding Adaptive Special Education based on a program completed at KU) must pass the subject exam before we can process the application to add the endorsement. Take the exam around six months before completing the final course.

Finally, in June 2012, KSDE voted to continue allowing licensed teachers to add endorsements by simply passing the subject exam. For example, a Physics teacher might be able to pass the Math exam, so he could teach both Physics and Math. Adding endorsements can make teachers more marketable, so consider doing this!

Licensure requirements are constantly changing. Again, if you have questions, email Alisa Branham at This page was updated July 2012.


Alisa Branham
Licensure Officer
#211 JRP Hall

Happy Thanksgiving from the KU School of Education! We are thankful for leaders, teachers, and educators - just like you. Enjoy this day with family and friends!

We are thankful for leaders, teachers, & educators just like you! Happy Thanksgiving from the #KUSOE .
KU Athletic Training Program - ALS Ice Bucket Challenge KU Athletic Training Program students and Dr. Phil Vardiman participating in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12