Preparing Educators as Leaders

Field Experience

Student Teaching: FAQs

1. Where do I submit my Student Teaching/Internship forms?

All materials are due by 5pm on the due date. You may turn in the materials to 208 JRP (The Welcome Center) or 217 JRP (Field Placement Office).

2. I would like to complete my ESL or SpEd practicum in conjunction with my internship. How does this work?

Indicate this on your request materials. We will do our best to place you for both your regular content area and your endorsement practicum within the same school, but this is not always possible. You can "split" the experience however you and your clinical supervisors agree to – by weeks or days. A 50/50 "split" is required of SpEd, but ESL only requires a minimum of 45 hours in that setting.

3. Is it against regulation to be paid for an internship or student teaching experience?

Technically, no. The Kansas State Board of Education recently decided to allow students to be paid. However, we are not aware of any districts who offer payment. Students may work as an "emergency substitute" for pay in the periods before or after student teaching and internship. See Licensure (link) for more information about substituting.

4. If my clinical supervisor is absent, can I be called upon to substitute teach in the classroom?

State mandate requires the presence of a certified teacher or system authorized substitute with the student teacher at all times. With one of those individuals in the room, depending on the level of confidence, the student may accept responsibility for instruction. Should this situation occur during your placement, let your university supervisor know ASAP. Student teachers cannot be used as substitute teachers.

5. Is it true that you cannot work while student teaching?

Student teaching and internship are full-time responsibilities. Therefore, student teachers and interns are strongly encouraged to devote all of their energies to their experiences. Employment during this time could seriously jeopardize a student's performance.

6. Am I expected to attend meetings and programs not held during the work day during my student teaching or internship?

Yes, you should always be prepared to attend these extra-curricular meetings or programs, but consult with your clinical supervisor first.


Melissa Robinson
Director of Field Placement
Rm. 217 JRP Hall

Lauri Herrmann-Ginsberg
Field Experience Coordinator

Faculty, staff and students of the Athletic Training Program are excited to host KU Athletic Training Day at Robinson Center, and we would like to welcome our area high school students to campus! More Info: Tags: #KUSOE #BeAJayhawk #KUCommunities

#KUSOE hosts KU Athletic Training Day today at Robinson Center! Welcome to our area high school students! #BeAJayhawk
KU Athletic Training Program - ALS Ice Bucket Challenge KU Athletic Training Program students and Dr. Phil Vardiman participating in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

10th among public universities for its master’s and doctoral programs
—U.S. News & World Report
#1 public program in nation for special education
—U.S. News & World Report
Assists public schools and other partners in all 105 Kansas counties
$938,377 in scholarship funds awarded to 420+ students
Research expenditures of $36,804,773 for 2011-12